It is important that you are well prepared and equipped for the climb to ensure maximum comfort and enjoyment. The average temperature range at Kinabalu Park is 15°C-24°C, along the Timpohon – Summit trail is about 6°C-14°C, and sometimes drop to as low as 2ºC in the wee hours of the morning! As for the weather on the mountain, it can range from sunny to misty to foggy.
This is meant to be a good guide to help you in packing for your Mount Kinabalu Climb Trip.
THINGS TO PACK FOR MOUNTAIN CLIMB:
1) TIMPOHON / MESILAU GATE >> LABAN RATA / PENDANT HUT (1st ASCENT)
(Day Climb / Weather: Usually Warm and Sunny)
- Wear lightweight clothing like t-shirts and track pants.
- Wear covered walking/hiking shoes with good grip. (Sports shoe is adequate).
- Waterproof backpack to store your items. (If not, buy a rain cover for your backpack. Try to limit it to less than 6 kg. It would be a burden for you to bring more than that)
- A small lightweight towel
- A 500ml drinking water will be provided with your packed lunch.
- Refillable 1 – 1.5 litre water bottle. (Most climbers need only about 1.5-2L of water till Laban Rata)
- High energy food such as chocolates, nuts, biscuits, sweets, energy bars.
- Walking/hiking stick (Can be hired in Kinabalu Park at RM10/stick, simply inform our staff)
- Portable Oxygen Bar (Can be purchased in Kinabalu Park at RM35/can, simply inform our staff)
- Personal toiletries such as soap, toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Change of clothes and extra socks for sleeping.
- Ponchos or Disposable Raincoat (2-3 sets) or waterproof jacket in case of rain.
2) LABAN RATA / PENDANT HUT >> LOW’S PEAK SUMMIT (02:00hrs 2nd ASCENT)
(Night Climb / Weather: Usually Cold and Windy)
– Your day pack with extra belongings can be kept at your room without additional charge.
- Warm clothing is essential
- Waterproof Wind breaker
- Fleece jackets, long sleeves shirts, thick trousers/hiking pants, thick socks and good shoes.
- Head Torch. (Head torch is necessary as most of the time you have to hold the rope in the dark).
- Cap / Beanie / Head Scarf /Balaclava mask. (It will keep warm and protect your head and face from the cold wind).
- Gloves. (Waterproof gloves is the best, It will protect your hands from rope burn and cold).
- Small water bottle (500ml bottle is enough).
- Ponchos or Disposable raincoat or waterproof jacket in case of rain.
THINGS YOU WISH TO BRING
- Medication such as painkiller or altitude sickness tablets, etc.
- Toilet tissue papers.
- Sunglass, sunblock lotion, SPF lip balm, plasters
- Insect repellent
- Camera with waterproof bag
- Rubber sandals/slippers. (It can be used in the wet bathroom during your stay in Mountain Hut).
- Plastic bags.
- Waist pouch. Waist pouch is handy during the second part of the climb as you could keep your camera and raincoat inside.
SLEEPING BAGS ARE NOT NEEDED!!!
Decide on the things that you want to bring up the mountain and then halve it. This is really what you need. Most important rule in packing for mountain climb is – travel light.
You can store your belongings and luggage before the climb at the Kinabalu Park HQ reception. Just pack the necessities mentioned above in your waterproof backpack for the climb. However, if you are in need to hire a porter to carry your backpack, below is the porter fees payable to Kinabalu Park HQ.
|PORTER FEE (OPTIONAL)|
|* Timpohon Gate → Laban Rata → Timpohon Gate||RM90.00||per trip per 10 Kg|
|* Timpohon Gate → Sayat-Sayat → Timpohon Gate||RM104.00||per trip per 10 Kg|
|* Timpohon Gate → The Summit → Timpohon Gate||RM112.00||per trip per 10 Kg|