Selingan Island is an extremely important breeding site for sea turtles with the most common species being the Green Turtle. It is an educational and emotional experience to witness these amazing underwater creatures return to the beach of their birth and lay their own clutches of eggs. If you’re lucky and there are new hatchlings at the hatchery, witness the release of these baby turtles into the open sea. Tour includes a visit to the reknown Sepilok Orang Utan Sanctuary and a brief tour of Sandakan on Day 2.
Day 1 – Sandakan – Selingan Turtle Islands Park
0815hrs: Meet upon arrival at the Sandakan Airport (preferably on MH2042 ETA0815hrs) or pick up from hotel in Sandakan. Transfer to jetty for a 45 minute to 1 hour boat ride to Selingan Turtle Islands Park. Free at leisure for the rest of the day. Snorkeling equipment are available for hire or you can just swim and rrelax on the beach. After dinner, wait for the rangers call to observe turtle laying eggs. Transfer the eggs to the hatchery and if there are young turtle hatchlings, an opportunity to observe the release of baby turtles to the open sea. Overnight at chalet. (L, D)
Day 2 – Sepilok Orang Utan Sanctuary – Sandakan
0700hrs: Depart island for Sandakan and visit the Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Center. Get up close with this remarkable and endearing primate of the rainforest during the feeding at 10.00am before returning to Sandakan for a drive to the Puh Jih Syh Buddhist Temple which offers panoramic views of Sandakan Bay. After lunch, transfer to airport or hotel. (B, L)
Land and sea transfers, accommodation and meals as stated, entrance fees and English speaking Tour Guide.
Return airfares, meals and transfers other than stated, camera/video fee where applicable, tips and personal expenses.
- Please book 3 – 6 months in advance due to limited accommodation on Turtle Island.
- Waiting List is possible however not guaranteed.
- Best done in middle or earlier of the year when the sea is calmer and not the rainy season.
- Sabah Parks forbid visitors from going around the island on their own from 6:00pm – 6:00am.
- You are recommended to book flight MH2042 ETD: 0730hrs from Kota Kinabalu to Sandakan and MH2047 (formerly MH2709)/ ETD: 1400hrs from Sandakan to Kota Kinabalu. If you are already in Sandakan, the pick up point will be from Sabah Hotel or Hotel Sandakan. Pick up time will be between 0945hrs-0955hrs. Drop off at the end of the tour will be at these respective hotels or any other city hotel. A surcharge will be imposed for drop off at hotels outside Sandakan city i.e Sepilok Jungle Resort or Sepilok Nature Resort.